Why are kids mean to each other? Usually they’re trying to get back at someone who hurt them. Or they’re trying to embarrass someone they don’t like even if that person hasn’t done anything.
Maybe bullies think that targeting others can save you from being targeted. Or that being first in line to start a rumor, make a rude comment, or threaten someone makes you cooler.
Anyone who believes that is wrong.
Cruel’s Not Cool! an anti-bullying campaign to engage students, teachers, administrators and parents in a community-wide exploration of our culture of cruelty, why cruel’s not cool, and what each of us can do, moment-by-moment to take back our schools by making them safer, more accepting places for all students all the time.
From Terra’s Inbox: Q&A About Bullying
From a Teen:“That's just what my mom said!”
I go to karate. I really like it, but I still groan about it when my mom says, "It's time to put on your karate clothes!" You know why? It's all because of my instructor. He doesn't really have the best personality in the world. He's really funny and can make anyone laugh, but sometimes when he is frustrated, he yells at other kids. He is also very impatient. When we do one simple thing wrong, like extending your punch, he yells at you and says, "NO! THAT'S WRONG!" And then he makes you do pushups. He is also very unpredictable. One time, I watched my little brother's class and my...
From a Teen:“I want to leave the mean girls but part of me doesn't.”
I want to make the change from being in the popular mean girl group to the nice people. The nice people have accepted me but I've seen a few friends from the popular group and I realize it's going to be hard to tell them I want to leave! I have best friends in the non-populars, but I'm starting to freak out because what if when I get back to school I'll see them and be like "I should be with them!" Today at orientation two of the girls were in the corners gossiping and half of me wanted to join them but I pulled away! What should I do??
|Read Terra’s Answer »||Read Terra’s Answer »|
- Facebook — We’ve set up a Facebook page so you can join the discussion about bullying... share your experiences and any solutions you’ve found that actually help. Connect with others committed to ending bullying. More »
- Blog Post: “We kids would like to know…” — For almost 13 years tweens and teens have been asking me questions. Usually they’re having problems with friends, former friends, mean kids… You get the picture. Their sadness and confusion gets to me. Sometimes I tear up at the keyboard. Sometimes I yell in frustration. They don’t understand why a friend would treat them this way. I don’t get it either. But I try my best to help by telling them what they can do to improve the situation. More »
- Parent Forum article — “Don’t Add to the Garbage”
- Parenting tips for helping kids deal with friendship challenges
- Parenting tips for helping kids survive mean girls/guys
- Podcast: Queen Bees Go Hi-Tech — Guest: Rosalind Wiseman
- Download “Cruel's Not Cool” Workshop PDF